Let's just be clear - I love pesto. I crave it, love the flavor and texture of it and most of all the wonderful smell of the basil blending with garlic and Parmesan cheese. Yum! This is one of those dinners I can throw together quickly and then we can sit and enjoy with a glass of our favorite wine. Try it - you'll be hooked by its simplicity, healthiness and most of all flavor.
Fangboner Farms Peto Chicken Salad (or the perfect summer evening salad)
- 2 chicken breasts (I prefer organic)
- Salad greens- I like to mix spinach, kale and baby lettuce greens (Kroger has a great organic Power Green mix)
- 2 ripe slicing tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese (either shredded or shaved, not the powdery stuff in the can)
- 3 C packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 C pine nuts
- 1/2 -3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, shredded
Place the basil, garlic and pine nuts in food processor. Pulse until chopped. Slowly pour in olive oil and pulse until it reaches a smooth consistency. You can add more/less oil to achieve the consistency you like. Then add in Parmesan cheese.
Grill the chicken breasts. I just use salt, pepper and a dash of Fangboner Farms Italian Blend for seasoning.
When they are done, just slice them and place them over the greens and slices of fresh tomato. Place the pesto on top of the chicken and add some Parmesan cheese to the top. Then enjoy!